Welcome to my blog

Hi, welcome to my blog. My name is Fung and I am a secondary school student.
My interests are reading books, and playing outdoor sports. My most favoured sport is football, because it consists of communication and teamwork.
This blog is for saving my school work, and posting educational videos to help myself remember work I have done. Most of it will be written work, although I will post some videos.

Inspirational Quotes

Saturday, February 4, 2012

The World is Grey - Values

Here is a speech that I wrote for class. The speech talks about fairness - thus I titled it 'The World is Grey' since it represents the middle, between white and black. Sort of 'good & evil'. I used an example from the Justice lecture presented by Harvard University about the car track as part of my speech.


Quite often, I hear people complaining that’s not fair.

To be quite frank with you, the world was never fair, and never will be. People try and make it as fair as possible, but never can make fairness. People can only make the world fairer.

Fairness also is determined by how you define ‘fairness’. Being fair to yourself does not necessarily mean you are being fair to others. Fairness would mean for everyone to be equal. Does the world function on equality? Certainly not, and neither do we want it to function on equality.

Fairness does not equal equality. We are all equal because we are humans. But at the same time it is not fair, because we are all born in different sizes, different intelligence, different social levels etc. For example, nepotism exists in this world. It is only natural. If I were a doctor, would I make my father wait in line? If I were a concert manager would I give priority tickets to my friends?

I would.
You would, everyone would.

As a conclusion, let me post you the following scenario: You are a driver of the train, and you come to a fork in the train track. You can either turn left, or turn right. If you turn left, you will kill 5 people. If you turn right, you will kill 1 person.

What would you do?

Is it fair?

IS IT FAIR?

No comments:

Post a Comment